Changing a job in Thailand.

At one point or another, an employee working in Thailand will likely face the situation of having to switch jobs. Outside of Thailand, this is usually quite straightforward as the work visa usually grants its holder the right to stay and work in the country for a certain period of time. However, this is not as easy in Thailand since both work permit and visa are tied to a specific job and resignation at your workplace leads to losing both.

Nevertheless, there is a way for employees changing professions in Thailand to transfer from one employment to another without having to leave the country and applying for Non-Immigrant Visa. Provided you would like to do just that, the process is as follows.

Cancellation of visa and work permit

Firstly, it is recommended to agree with your old employer on the date of informing the Labour Ministry of your resignation (=cancelling work permit) and the official departure from the company which should be the same day. At the same time, this will be the date for your new employer to have the new work permit application completed and prepared.

Once the previous step is arranged, the second stage of the process comes into place. On the date of cancelling your work permit, you must take your passport to the Immigration Office where both your visa and permit are handed in and cancelled. This step needs documents from the old employer in order to be carried out successfully.

Since the cancellation of the visa effectively makes you having to leave the country on the same day, it is important to apply for an extension of stay right after the previous step. The extension will allow you to stay in Thailand for additional seven days.

New work permit

While waiting for the new work permit, your new employer should get all the documents ready for extending your permit of stay from seven days to one year. These must be submitted at the Immigration Bureau immediately after obtaining the new work permit within seven days of your extended visa. If all is done correctly and it goes well, you don’t have to leave Thailand to apply for a new Non-Immigrant B visa.

Possible complications

As you can see this is a very tight process and good timing is of an utmost importance. It may also happen that the Ministry of Labour may not be able produce your Work Permit within seven days as it usually does and should it happen, a trip outside of Thailand will become a necessity.

Did you find this article useful?

Share it with your friends or colleagues.

About Acclime.

As a leading provider of corporate services, we specialise in covering everything startups and established companies need to successfully start and operate their new business in Thailand. By seamlessly navigating our clients through the complexities of Thai bureaucracy, we allow them to fully focus on their business and operate it with peace of mind.

Questions? Speak to our experts.

We are available Monday – Friday 9am to 6pm (UTC+7).
© Acclime 2020 | Privacy policy