Skip to main content

Retirement visa in Thailand.

Thailand has become a popular choice of many Westerners when it comes to choosing a retirement destination – it is warm, exotic and offers a huge variety of things to see and do. Generally, there are two ways to proceed to obtain the retirement visa.

immigration hero bbfe96e9

Thailand retirement
visa extension.

The first is to apply for a non-immigrant O-A (retirement visa) visa prior to arrival in Thailand. The second, and perhaps easier option, is to enter Thailand on a different form of visa* and then change your status. Subject to meeting certain criteria, there is a procedure by which you can then extend your stay in 12 monthly increments on the basis of your retirement.

Acclime has experienced staff on hand to help you every step of the way. We ensure the process is completed correctly, smoothly and quickly – thus avoiding any unnecessary cost or delay. Our immigration specialist will complete the application forms and accompany you to immigration to represent you throughout the visa conversion/extension process. We will also help you compile the various items of supporting information that must be submitted as part of your application.

Retirement visa requirements.

The basic requirements for the granting of extension of stay on the basis of retirement are that you:

  • dot
    Are aged 50 years or over**
  • dot
    Satisfy basic criminal, character and health checks
  • dot
    Meet minimum financial requirements
  • dot
    Are not employed in Thailand (even in a voluntary capacity)

* Note that a ‘free-on-arrival’ 30-day tourist visa is unsuitable as you will not be allowed to enter Thailand unless you are holding either a return ticket or an onward ticket to another country.

The asset and income requirements are simply to ensure that you can adequately support yourself, and will not become a drain on the Thai community.

You must be able to verify that you hold:

  • dot
    A Thai bank account holding at least 800,000 THB OR
  • dot
    An ongoing source of income, such as a pension, of at least 65,000 THB per month OR
  • dot
    A combination of 1 and 2 (Thai bank account + monthly income x 12 = 800,000)

** If your partner is under 50 years of age (and thus does not qualify for a retirement visa) then we can also help them obtain a suitable alternative visa (usually a Non-Immigrant O Visa)

Ready to get started?

Let our visa and immigration team advise you on the best solution for your needs.

Not sure where to begin?

Schedule a free 30-minute discovery call to discuss working and living legally in Thailand.

Natnaree, Immigration services coordinator