Marriage registration in Thailand.
Getting married in Thailand is similar to wedding procedures in other countries in terms of options and variety. Groom and bride-to-be can choose their wedding to be with or without betrothal ceremony and also at court or at a destination of own choice.
Couples who wish to proceed with the wedding in Thailand have to first check if they are eligible to do so. While each nationality has its own special requirements, there are some criteria all nationalities have in common (provided it’s the opposite sex marriage):
- Both man and woman have to be of age of 17 years or older (or meet the minimum age criterion in their country of origin, whichever is lower)
- Both man and woman are sane and competent to make an independent decision
- Both man and woman are not blood-related
- Both man and woman do not have the same adoptive parents
- Both man and woman do not have a spouse at the time of marriage (certain exceptions apply to widows/widowers)
Those who qualify for the above criteria must also provide a copy of their passport altogether with the arrival card, embassy-verified testimony confirming the marital status and its translated version in Thai (certified by an approved Foreign Ministry Translator).